How Can Adults Support Unpaid Work Experiences?
A student’s transition team can help with finding unpaid work experiences by:
- Working with the student to explore opportunities
- Teaching the student how to succeed in an interview
- Helping the student create and update a resume before and after each experience
- Serving as mentors and being involved with the student during the work experiences
The Benefits of Internships As Unpaid Work Experiences
Internships are unique experiences in which students can work for free in fields that interest them and where they may eventually want to be hired. Internships can provide students with:
- Mentorship with professionals
- Real-world training
- Experience in a field of interest
- Opportunities for social interactions
What Can Unpaid Work Experiences Do For Students?
When a student participates in an Unpaid Work Experience, they will gain:
An opportunity for the student to explore careers based on their interests and to discover career options available to them.
Build the social skills, interviewing skills, and task management skills a student will need for jobs in the future.
Meeting people in the workplace who can help the student learn about future career options and help them obtain paid employment.
Having real-world job experience for the student’s resume upon graduation from high school.
Check out PA Department of Education’s resources for career development.
Check out the calendar for events that may interest you.
Want to learn more?
Check out Career Ready PA!
Learn more about how PA students will be prepared for meaningful engagement in postsecondary education, in workforce training, in career pathways, and as responsible, involved citizens.