In order to create relationships with employers, schools and agencies need to use effective engagement strategies to create opportunities for students with disabilities. Considerations include:
- Streamlining referrals
- Establishing a single point of contact
- Considering appropriate work-based learning tools
- Including local business organizations on planning committees
- Promoting the educator in the workplace learning opportunities
Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) Business Services
OVR’s Business Services Division can work directly with employers to recruit and retain qualified students who meet their workforce needs. They can assist with:
- Analyzing workplace accessibility
- Providing financial incentives
- Training on disability awareness
- Providing networking resources
What Can Partnering With Employers Do For Students?
When students have options to interact with employers, they benefit from:
Work-Based Learning Experiences
Students can be provided with opportunities to learn job skills in the careers of their choice.
Students can access support from individuals in the field of their interest.
Students can receive individualized and structured supports while on the job.
Students will have the opportunity to build relationships with employers to help them be successful later in life.
Click here for a resource guide:
Check out the calendar for events that may interest you.
Want to learn more?
OVR Business Services
Check out the OVR Business Services brochure to learn more.